If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Most often we serve prosciutto wrapped melon slices, but I was wondering what would the inverse be - a cherry sized mozzarella ball wrapped in prosciutto wrapped in melon. I found an antique ice cream scooper at my parents' house, and used it to do my best to scoop out rather large melon balls. I then used a 1-inch melon ball scooper to make a circle in the middle of the melon ball in which to place the meat-wrapped mozzarella. A minted dressing made from the scooped out melon and its juices makes a refreshing and pretty addition. - Bevi
Serves 2 portions, but the size of the melon will determine how many servings
To Assemble the Melon Wrapped Appetizer
- 1 ripe melon - honeydew, cantaloupe, or your favorite variety
- pinches sea salt and ground black pepper
- handfuls Mozzarella Ciliegine (cherry sized balls)
- 3 or 4 slices prosciutto, sliced again lengthwise into thirds or halves, to wrap around each mozzarella ball
- large handfuls salad greens of your choice
- Use a 2-inch ice cream scooper to scoop out large melon balls. They may not be perfectly round balls, but you will set the "good" rounded side up. Place balls on a large plate to work on. Use a 1-inch melon scooper to scoop out a crater on the top of the larger melon balls. Set the scooped out pulp aside for the dressing.
- Quickly pass a pinch of salt over the prepared melon.
- Wrap the mozzarella balls with the prosciutto slices, and place a cheese ball in each melon crater.
- Place the prepared melon on a bed of greens on salad plates.
For the Melon Dressing
- scooped out 1-inch melon balls
- juice from the melon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 mint leaf per melon ball - I used chocolate mint
- salt and white pepper if needed
- Place all the ingredients except salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until the dressing is thoroughly liquified. Use more melon juice if necessary. Taste to see if you want to add a little salt and pepper.
- Spoon the dressing over the melon balls and greens.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring