If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In spring, when markets are filled with fresh peas in their pods, I love bringing back home unshelled peas and opening the pods, collecting the peas and cooking straight away. I think it must be the vibrant green from the peas or the mystery of opening pod by pod and collecting the little emerald spheres that make them so appetizing. This recipe can be made year around because you can cook it with frozen peas and canned tomatoes. This recipe can also be done with fresh fava beans - it's also very good.
—Maria Teresa Jorge
- 4 cups shelled fresh sweet peas
- 1 chouriço sliced
- 5 tablespoons rxtra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar if tomatoes are acid
- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander chopped - for decoration
- Peel, remove seeds and dice tomatoes.
- Warm the olive oil in a pan. Fry the chourico until it starts to brown on the rims. Add the chopped onion and garlic, the bay leaf, the coriander and cook until onion softens.
- Add the diced tomato and the fresh peas, stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water or stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over very low heat until peas are cooked and sauce has thickened.
- Check seasoning and if needed add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- When ready to serve, remove 5 slices of chourico and set aside for decoration. Make 4 hollows in the pea stew and gently break an egg into each hollow. Sprinkle the eggs with sea salt, cover and cook as you would a soft egg - 5 minutes (soft egg) 7 minutes (medium).
- At the last minute decorate with the 5 slices of chourico and sprinkle with the chopped coriander.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.