If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you've never tried kale salad before, here's the trick: you "massage" your greens with dressing. This helps to wilt the kale ever so slightly, and if you can get over the hilarity of tenderly rubbing down a vegetable, you'll quickly understand why raw kale salads are all the rage. This particular salad is elevated and made heartier with lentils--which are a great and protein packed way to transform everyday salad into more of a meal. If you'd like, you can add some cooked new potatoes, or serve the dish with a hearty slice of grain bread and hummus. —Gena Hamshaw
- 2 bunches Curly kale, center ribs and stems removed, washed, dried, and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Apricot preserves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 cup Puy or beluga lentils, (substitute brown lentils if they’re what you have), rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup Red cabbage, shredded
- Whisk together olive oil, apricot preserves, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Turn kale into a large mixing bowl, and massage 6 T of the dressing into the salad. You’ll need enough dressing for the salad to be well coated and start taking on a “wilted” texture. Set aside.
- Place lentils in a small saucepan with enough water to cover them by 3-4 inches (approximately 2 1/2 cups). Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat, add a pinch of salt, and let the lentils simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Allow lentils to cool slightly and add them, along with the cabbage, to the kale, and add another 2 T vinaigrette. Use hands to combine. Add extra dressing as needed, and season to taste.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Recipe of the Day
Strawberries and champagne are meant to be
Recipe of the Day
Free shipping, this weekend only!
The freedom to snack.
Savor the season.