Author Notes: Even in a gluten-free house--or especially there!--pancakes are a must. Because gf baking requires quite a number of ingredients, I take a shortcut here with an organic mix from Arrowhead Mills. It's got rice and yellow corn flours, as well as tapioca and potato starches. For a toothier quality, I add buckwheat flour, and buttermilk and creme fraiche to give it a tangy richness. - gluttonforlife
Serves 4, or 2 ravenous people
- 1 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, grade B preferred
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup creme fraîche or sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Stir first 8 ingredients together until well blended. (Add more buttermilk if you like your pancakes thinner.)
- Cook one large pancake at a time, pouring the batter into a lightly oiled, pre-heated skillet. Add banana slices and some chopped nuts as the first side cooks, gently pressing them into the pancake with a spatula. Flip when bubbles form on surface and edges appear slightly dry.
- Serve with melted butter and warm maple syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes