Author Notes: I stuffed an avocado with sauteed grape tomato and shallots and topped with sauteed bread crumbs, heated in the broiler for a short time and topped with a poached egg. It was delicious, the avocado was barely warmed, and the tomato, shallot and breadcrumbs were lightly browned and the bread crumbs a little crunchy. It's a wonderful contrast to the creamy smooth avocado and runny poached eggs. Very simple to make and as easy to make for 1 as it is for a crowd. The proportions don't have to be exact make enough for how many avocado's.you make. You can become as creative as you like. - sdebrango
Food52 Review: The final product of this recipe is really delicious, and I just made a couple of small changes. I used half of a large heirloom tomato, chopped (grape tomatoes seemed a bit large to stuff into the avocado halves). It was difficult to effectively stuff the avocado and get it in under the broiler, so I wound up scooping out the avocado halves and placing each half in a small ramekin. I broiled the avocado+tomato/shallot+breadcrumb mixture and then topped it with a fried egg. This is a fantastic quick light meal or snack! The simple flavors come together beautifully (the lime is essential, in my opinion, as are fresh breadcrumbs). Definitely a keeper! - sarahmc
- 1 ripe avocado halved
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 lobe of the shallot chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- olive oil for pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs poached or fried
- 1/2 lime (for the avocado)
- Add olive oil to saute pan and add the chopped shallot, when it has softened add the tomatoes and saute just until the tomatoes start to soften and give off a little of their juices, season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and add the bread crumbs.saute until they have absorbed the oil and are lightly browned. Remove from pan
- Turn oven to broil, place rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut your avocado in half, squeeze the lime on both halves, sprinkle each with a pinch of sea salt. Fill the cavity with the tomato and shallots, top with bread crumbs and place in oven for approximately a minute just so it's warmed and the crumbs are golden brown.
- Top with poached or fried egg and enjoy.