Author Notes: My conception of dessert has changed with these raw brownies--an incredibly delicious, easy, and healthy treat. I adapted these from a recipe from Food Loves Writing and lowered the frosting sweetness and added cacao nibs for a crunchier bar.
This decadent dessert has a satisfying crunch from the walnuts, all the earthiness that chocolate dreams to be, and a frosting with a creaminess you never would never think to attribute to an avocado. Using all whole foods, many of which are considered superfoods because of their beneficial health properties. Out with the chocolate chips cookies, in with the raw brownies! - posie harwood
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- handfuls cacao nibs
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinches salt
- Line a loaf pan with parchment.
- Puree the walnuts, dates, and cocoa powder until it looks like soil. Remember it is not and forge onwards. Mix in the cacao nibs and press the mixture into the loaf pan to make an even layer.
- Combine the frosting ingredients in the food processor and puree until smooth. You can make this slightly sweeter by adding more agave/honey.
- Spread the frosting puree onto the brownie layer and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Keep them in the freezer until you are ready to eat them. So good!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados