If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish shows off hemp seeds and quinoa -- two sources of complete protein. Both of these ingredients are sort of famous for being "hippie foods," but as you'll see, they're both perfectly accessible and delicious, especially when paired with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon. Feel free to substitute the basil for dill, oregano, or another herb of choice; no matter what, they result will be a tasty, satisfying, and simple meatless meal! - Gena Hamshaw
- 1 cup Quinoa, dry
- 2 cups Water, cold
- 1 cup Green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt (plus a little extra)
- 1 dash Black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer with cold water. Transfer to a pot and add the 2 cups cold water and a nice pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and leave the lid of the pot slightly ajar while cooking. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is plump, the water is absorbed, and you see the tiny little outer “shells” of the quinoa grain coming loose in the pot.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes or so. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, boil fresh or frozen peas till warm and tender. Drain and set aside.
- Mix quinoa, peas, basil, and hemp seeds in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and black pepper. Pour over the quinoa salad mixture, and serve warm or cold. Dish will keep excellently (though the basil might turn a little dark) in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.