If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This bacon-infused bourbon cocktail was inspired by the Old Fashioned at PDT, a cocktail mecca in New York City’s East Village. I think the star-anise-infused cider syrup gives mine a nice complexity, and the fresh lemon juice sparks the dark, smoky flavors. - gluttonforlife
For the Bacon-Infused Bourbon
- 375 milliliters bourbon, such as Tuthilltown's Baby Bourbon
- 2 slices smoky bacon
For the Apple Cider Syrup
- 2 cups organic apple cider
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (like dark muscovado)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, grade B preferred
- 1-2 star anise
- Decant the bourbon into a large glass jar with a wide mouth.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet to render the fat and, once it's cooled, strain the fat into the bourbon and close the jar. (Scarf down the bacon.)
- Let the bourbon sit out for about 6 hours and then put it in the freezer. Once the fat is completely hardened, scoop it all out with a slotted spoon (or your fingers).
- Meanwhile, make the cider syrup by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmering briskly until reduced to 2/3 cup. Strain out the star anise. Refrigerate until cold.
- For the Piggyback: Into a cocktail shaker with ice, pour 2 ozs bacon-infused bourbon, 1 1/2 ozs cider syrup and 1 oz fresh lemon juice and shake well. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. (You can double the ingredients and shake two at a time if you're not drinking alone.)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pork with Cider
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.