Author Notes: I based these Moroccan meatballs on the flavor profile of merguez sausage--spicy, tangy, savory and intensely aromatic. They are wonderful as a component of a mezze table, or served with cous cous and a vegetable tagine. - zindc
Makes 14 golf ball-sized meatballs
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cracker meal or plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot or onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon pimenton dulce (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon harissa or 1/2 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease the foil with olive or grapeseed oil so the meatballs won't stick.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine thoroughly. Clean hands work best for this.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or wet hands, form golf-ball sized meatballs and arrange on the tray.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes or until browned and sizzling and firm to the touch.
Minted Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons chopped mint
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint