If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Nothing tastes as good in the summertime as my uncle Bep's perfect lobster salad! It's best made with fresh lobsters, straight from the dock, and just cooked through. Don't oversteam your lobsters or they will get tough. If you're in a pinch, pick up a pound of cooked lobster meat from your local fishmonger. The recipe is deceptively simple -- classic ingredients beget perfect results!
- 1 pound fresh lobster meat
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 3-4 tablespoons good mayonnaise (such as Hellman's)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are planning to steam the lobsters yourself, please know that it will take anywhere between 4-6 pounds of lobsters to yield 1 pound of meat. In my experience, steaming lobsters beats boiling every time -- there's less of a chance that the lobsters will be overcooked and they retain more of that "fresh from the sea" taste. Bring about 2-3 inches of water to a boil in a large lobster pot or stockpot. Some people add salt to the water but I never do. When the water reaches a rocking boil, layer the lobsters in the pot and cover with the lid. Resist the temptation to peek for about 10 minutes. Depending on the size of the lobsters, they may need to cook for another 5-10 minutes. The lobsters will be done when the shells are bright red and the meat is white and not opaque. Remove from the pot and place in a colander. Rinse the hot lobsters under cold water to stop any additional cooking. When the lobsters have cooled, crack the shells and dig out the meat. Feel free to suck on a leg or two while you work.
- Chop the cooled lobster meat into nice bite size pieces - not too small -- and place in a large bowl. Dice the celery in small pieces and add to the lobster.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise with the juice of one lemon. Pour over the lobster meat mixture and stir gently to combine. If you need more mayonnaise, be certain to thin it out with a little more lemon juice.
- Add the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- It's wonderful as a simple lobster salad atop soft butter lettuce leaves lightly dressed with lemon vinaigrette. Or if you prefer an old-school lobster roll, generously butter the sides of 4 split top hotdog rolls (Pepperidge Farm makes the best) and toast them in a frying pan until golden brown. Layer a piece or two of lettuce inside the toasted roll and top with a generous helping of lobster salad. A side of good potato chips and a cold beer are musts!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Fried Toast and Ice Cream Floats.
A list of things we like.
Listing What We Like.
3 Ways to Compost
Go play outside!
DIY Herb Rubs
Not-so traditional pesto