If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I used cantaloupe, but use any melon you like. You can eat the salad right after you prepare it for a room temperature version or chill it first. Try it rolled up taco-style in crunchy cabbage or lettuce leaves - delicious! —Pinch&Swirl
Serves 4 generously
For the spicy mayonnaise:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili sauce (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
For the salad:
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced into 1/2" wedges (no need to peel if you're using an English cucumber)
- 1/2 cantaloupe or honeydew melon, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut in bite-size chunks
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced crosswise into thin slivers
- 8 cabbage or butter lettuce leaves (optional)
- To make the spicy mayonnaise, whisk together mayonnaise, sriracha hot chili sauce, soy sauce, and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- To cook the shrimp, bring about 2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan (you want enough water to just cover the shrimp); stir in a small handful of salt. Add shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, or until pink and cooked through. Drain shrimp in a colander and set aside to cool. Coarsely chop the shrimp when they are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine cucumber, melon, green onions, celery, avocado, almonds, and chopped shrimp. Add mayonnaise to mixture and gently stir to combine. Divide mixture between four serving plates or scoop into whole cabbage or lettuce leaves divided among the plates. Sprinkle slivered basil evenly over each. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
A can-do tool.