If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family loves the roasted chicken so much they say it would be it their "Last Meal". If there's any chicken left after dinner, this salad puts it to good use (if it is possible to augment leftover chicken). The butternut squash can be omitted if it is out of season.
Roasting the chicken
- 2 4 lb. Whole Chickens, preferably kosher
- 6 tablespoons Ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons Black peppercorns, smashed
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 8 Carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 Heads of fennel, trimmed and sliced
- 1 White onion, peeled and cut into eight pieces
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- Mix cumin, salt and pepper. Drizzle 2 Tb. of oil over chickens. Rub chickens inside and outside with spice mixture. Reserve around 1/4 of mixture.
- Toss vegetables with remaining olive oil and spices.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place chickens in large roasting pan. Put vegetables around chicken. Roast approximately 1 hour until juices run clear, turning chickens after half an hour. When chicken is done, remove and let cool. If vegetables are not soft and caramelized, continue cooking until they are succulent.
- When cool enough to handle, remove chicken meat from the bones and cut into big chunks (where possible). Coarsely chop vegetables.
Making the Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons Fig preserves
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Combine chicken, vegetables, preserves and mayonnaise in bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Salad is best when flavors can meld for at least an hour.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.