Author Notes: Perfect for those sweaty, hot July days when tomatoes are at their peak and the last thing you want to do is turn on the stove. - Omeletta
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 large tomatoes, heirloom preferred, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup chiffonade basil, fresh
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 medium to large garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground salt, or to taste
- Using a box grater over a bowl, grate the tomatoes down to the skin, discarding the skin as you go. Add the lemon, basil, and garlic and stir to combine. Add the salt, a little at a time, tasting as you go.
- Let the entire mixture sit for at least one hour before serving. During this time I usually cook pasta separately (from scratch or a box). Before combining, don't heat the sauce, just serve the pasta and the sauce together either slightly chilled or at room temperature.