If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got sort of obsessed with chicken wings during the last football season and wanted to try a large variety. Of the types I experimented with, this was one of the best. Crunchy, sweet, and spicy. Blackberries are great, but honestly, you can toss in whatever berry is in season. For a spicier wing, use more chipotles. Two is great for a sort of moderate heat. - Snafu06
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 packages of fresh blackberries
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 4 pounds chicken wing pieces
- Red wine vineger (optional)
- Using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender, blend the onion, garlic, blackberries, sugar, chipotle peppers, sugar, and lime juice until smooth. You can add a little water if the sauce is too thick. At this point, you can also taste the sauce for sweetness. If the blackberries were particularly sweet, add the red wine vinegar 1/2 teaspoon at a time until it tastes the way you want.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or dutch oven to 350. Fry the wings in batches, making sure to leave enough space between them so they crisp up. Takes about 12 minutes per batch, or until golden brown and crispy. (Note: You can also grill them on high for about ten minutes or broil them, until golden brown).
- Put the cooked wings in a bowl, and toss with the sauce. You can reserve a little on the side for dipping. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.