If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This "risotto" recipe is the result of correcting some crazy-hot black-eyed peas one New Year's Day. My friend John liked it so much that we brought some to our favorite pizzeria to share with the owner. —Sadassa_Ulna
Serves a lot
- 3-1/2 cups cooked (or canned) black-eyed peas
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 big yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground chipolte
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup pearl barley - NOT quick-cooking type
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Saute bacon and onion in oil in a large deep skillet until onion is soft.
- Add everything except the peas and barley; bring to a boil and add peas and barley.
- Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until barley is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Cooking time should be about 45 minutes or so.
Yes, You (Beer) Can
The trials, tribulations, and success of a tricky chicken
The invincible beer can chicken.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.