Author Notes: This "risotto" recipe is the result of correcting some crazy-hot black-eyed peas one New Year's Day. My friend John liked it so much that we brought some to our favorite pizzeria to share with the owner. - Sadassa_Ulna
Serves a lot
- 3-1/2 cups cooked (or canned) black-eyed peas
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 big yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground chipolte
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup pearl barley - NOT quick-cooking type
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Saute bacon and onion in oil in a large deep skillet until onion is soft.
- Add everything except the peas and barley; bring to a boil and add peas and barley.
- Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until barley is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Cooking time should be about 45 minutes or so.