If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Street Food is extremely popular in all parts of India. Different Parts have different specialties, however. Jalapeno Fritters and Onion fritters are widely sold in Southern parts of India. The vendors craft an old newspaper into a cone and hurriedly put a dozen or two of the fritters in to these newspaper turned cones and sprinkle some chillies or onions. An experience all by itself! —Shri
Food52 Review: These pakoras are an amplified version of onion rings; the delicately spiced fritters are salted to perfection. Chickpea flour is a revelation, with its warm and nutty flavor pairing well with the slightly caramelized onions. The onions concede most of their rawness, but that is the triumph -- punchy onion flavor without the bitterness. —Kitchen Butterfly
Serves 2 - 3
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 -5 tablespoons chickpea flour/Besan
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder, optional
- pinch of salt
- oil to deep fry (a couple inches to cover the bottom of the pan)
- Cut the onions thinly into half moons. The slices should not be more than an 1/8th of an inch. Place them in a bowl.
- Stir the flour, chile powder, and salt together in a separate bowl, and then sprinkle it on the sliced onions. Add it just to coat -- if 4 tbsps seems sufficient, you can stop there.
- Combine well by giving a gentle squeeze to the onions. If needed, wet your palm with water and mix the onion mixture with your wet palm, but do not add additional water. The mixture should come together as lumpy but it shouldn't be runny.
- Heat the oil to about 350 in a wok. Drop a small piece of batter into the oil to test; if it browns and floats, the oil is ready.
- Eyeball heaping tablespoons of the mixture, add small mounds of it to your hot oil, and fry till golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them carefully and place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Serve immediately, and with chutney or ketchup.
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.