Author Notes: A favorite at British watering holes, cheese straws are a classic and so easy to make. I used a sharp cheddar, paprika and dry mustard, but feel free to use your favorite cheese and seasonings - inpatskitchen
Makes 15 to 20 cheese straws
- 3/4 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 sheet puff pastry from a 17.3 ounce package
- In a shallow bowl, sprinkle the dry mustard and paprika on the shredded cheese and toss with your clean fingers to combine. Let sit out for an hour or so to "dry" the ingredients.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet on a work surface and sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Place a sheet of parchment paper over and with a rolling pin, roll the pastry to set the cheese in. Turn the pastry over, sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture, place the parchment over and roll again.
- Cut the pastry into strips about 1/2 inch wide, give them a twist and lay them on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in a pre heated 400F oven for 9 to 11 minutes. Watch them carefully! Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food