Author Notes: After making these I'm never going back to store bought. The trick is lard, it makes them beautifully chewy, soft and pliable. I've tried them with all types of fat, and lard certainly is the best. - darksideofthespoon
Serves 4 big or 6 medium or 8 small
- 2 cups all purpose four
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 3/4 cups warm homogenized milk
- Measure your dry ingredients in a standing mixer bowl with a hook attachment (or just a normal bowl and some elbow grease!!). Stir flour, baking powder and salt until combined, then add the lard and mash it in with a fork or pastry blender until the flour is crumbly.
- Add warm milk and mix until the dough is smooth and elastic adding a little warm milk or water if the dough is dry. Cover with saran wrap for 20 minutes.
- Once rested cut into 8 small pieces (or 6, or 4), round them and rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll each tortilla out until it is consistently thin (I like mine very thin..) You don't need flour, at least I never use any. Cook in a hot pan that has not been greased. The tortilla should start to bubble and inflate. Flip the tortilla and cook the other side for a minute or so, remove, then cover with a towel until you're ready to serve.