Author Notes: This is what I got when I combined my favorite sandwich and pizza. We have a speciality cheese shop here in Anchorage, Alaska that makes a grilled bleu cheese and fig sandwich which is fabulous. Any reason to travel 30 miles out of my way for cheese; generally results in a grilled bleu cheese sandwich to boot. I also love pizza - who doesn't. My favorite is a thin crust pizza, I love the crunch and the way the ingredients are not secondary to crust. This recipe is simply a combination of two things I enjoy. Bleu cheese pizza is a simple to make pizza with the sharp, salty intensity of bleu cheese that is complimented with the sweetness of fig jam. You can use pita bread, a boboli, or make your own crust. If you choose to make your own crust and are in need of a great recipe I frequently use and would recommend Chef Nathan Lyon's pizza crust recipe from his cookbook "Good Food Starts Fresh." This is prefect for when unexpected visitors stop by and you need something fast or just to indulge with a glass of wine. A dry riesling or a sauvignon blanc are my personal favorites with this treat. - tdeakins
- 1 Pita Bread, boboli, or homemade pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons Fig jam
- 1/4 cup Crumbled (quality) bleu cheese
- For this recipe I'm going to provide instructions for making this pizza using pita bread. Place your oven rack in the middle of your oven and pre heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the pita bread on a cookie sheet. Spread the fig jam over the pita. Break up and crumble the bleu cheese over the pita, on top of the fig jam. Your quantities of the fig jam and bleu cheese do not have to be exact; but should be applied depending on your taste preference, and the size of the pizza you're making.
- Slide the pita onto the pre heated oven rack and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. (This is a perfect time to uncork a bottle of wine.) Use your cookie sheet on the next rack down to catch any melting cheese and jam, which will prevent you from having to clean your oven later.
- The pizza is done when the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute or two. Cut, serve, pour a glass of wine and enjoy.