Author Notes: This is my recipe for an Indian style lettuce wrap using ingredients from my farm share - refreshing butter lettuce filled with curried tofu and fresh basil chutney. - Chitra Agrawal
Lettuce Wrap & Curried Tofu
- 1 butter or Boston lettuce head
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- 1 lemon
- cilantro, chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non stick fry pan under medium heat. Throw in tofu and fry until sides are lightly browned and skin is starting to get more firm on outside ~ 25 minutes. Set aside the cooked tofu.
- Next put 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan under medium heat. When heated, add in the chopped onion and fry until translucent.
- Next mix in the chopped garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Put in turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin powder and garam masala and mix well. Fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Next throw in the tomato and mix. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add back the tofu to the pan.
- Fry for another 5 minutes or until tofu is completely coated with the curried tomato mixture. Turn off the stove.
- Add salt to taste, a squeeze of lemon and top with chopped cilantro.
Basil Chutney & Lettuce Wrap Assembly
- 1 bunch basil leaves, washed
- 1 cup frozen fresh grated coconut, thawed
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 3 Indian/Thai green chilis
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- Combine all ingredients in blender and puree.
- Fold in Greek yogurt.
- Fill 1 tablespoon of curried tofu in 1 lettuce leaf. Top with 1 teaspoon of basil chutney.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy