Author Notes: This recipe combines the flavors of chocolate, bourbon and coffee for an intense flavor and buzz. I originally published a version of this recipe at http://heightseats.com/2007/12/mini-mud-pies-with-bruleed-bananas/ (which also contains a recipe for a granola pie crust). - Heights Eats
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons brewed strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons bourbon, divided
- 1 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch. In another large bowl, whisk the cream cheese and salt until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk with the heavy cream, ½ cup sugar and corn syrup. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and cook over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth.
- Make the chocolate coffee bourbon sauce: Bring cocoa, brewed coffee, 2 TB. bourbon and remaining ½ cup sugar to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, vanilla and remaining tablespoon bourbon.
- Stir sauce into ice cream base. Cover and chill, then churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream