If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ice cream combines the flavors of a doughnut--nutmeg, yeast and caramelization from frying--with a whiskey infused chocolate glaze. The wheat beer was initially included for the yeast element, but the beer flavor also works well. The glaze recipe is Alton Brown's (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-doughnut-glaze-recipe/index.html) with added whiskey. - Heights Eats
Makes 1 quart
Ice Cream Base
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 5 ounces (1/2 cup plus 2 TB) Bavarian hefeweizen, divided
Whiskey Chocolate Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons good whiskey (I used bourbon)
- Combine 3 TB whole milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together cream cheese and salt in a metal bowl.
- Caramelize 1/4 cup of the sugar in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until deep amber. Carefully add cream and whisk until combined.
- Add remaining milk, remaining sugar, corn syrup, ¼ cup hefeweizen and nutmeg. Heat until boiling, then boil for four minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cornstarch mixture. Return to the boil for one minute, until thickened slightly.
- Gradually add cooked mixture to bowl with cream cheese and whisk until combined. Add remaining hefeweizen. Chill.
- While churning the ice cream, make the glaze: heat first five glaze ingredients in a small saucepan until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from heat and whisk in confectioners' sugar and whiskey. Hold at room temperature.
- Scrape glaze into ice cream during last five minutes of churning. Once ice cream is done churning, freeze in a plastic container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
A Genius Secret Weapon to Keep on Hand
Freeze it right there.
A genius secret weapon for your freezer.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
You won't be board with this game.