If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We're drowning in summer squash over here! Over the past few weeks, I've cooked it in a number of iterations, but wanted to try my hand at a galette. This recipe is almost all from Smitten Kitchen's Zucchini and Ricotta Galette, but I've changed the squash and added hazelnuts. —TaraT
For the dough
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, chilled in freezer for at least 30 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces and rechilled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling
- 10-12 zephyr squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- small handful hazelnuts, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons basil, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together flour and salt in a large bowl, chill in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Chop in butter with a pastry blender until mixture comes together and no pieces of butter are bigger than a pea.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sour cream and water.
- Pour sour cream mixture into dough and gently incorporate. Form into a loose ball. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- While dough is resting, slice squash and salt. Let drain on a few layers of paper towels for 20-30 minutes. Blot with towels before using.
- Stir together olive oil and garlic.
- Mix together cheeses and salt and pepper. Pour in a tablespoon of the garlic olive oil.
- Roll dough into 12 inch circle and place on an ungreased cookies sheet.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over dough, leaving a two inch border. Cover with the squash slices, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts. Fold edge of dough up, pinching together to make it look pretty.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the dough is puffy and golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Top with basil ribbons, slice and serve.