Author Notes: I love spring rolls but my family gets tired of the same old thing. This time around I decided to use steak and fill it with some beautiful leaf lettuce and crunchy veggies. - Simply Gourmet
Makes 8 spring rolls
- 6 slices of thin beef strips, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- dashes of pepper
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1 bunch leaf lettuce
- 8 rice roll spring wrappers
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Marinate meat in a baggie along with onion powder, soy sauce, worceshershire sauce and pepper for one hour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and add meat. Dispose of left over marinade.
- Cook meat for about 2 minutes on each side. The thin strips will cook quickly and you don't need them well done and chewy. Sprinkle each side with toasted sesame seeds. Remove your meat to a plate.
- After the meat has cooled a bit, cut each piece into thin strips to match those of the veggies. Try to cut across the grain so the meat will be easier to bite into.
- Prepare you veggies. To help stack the veggies and meat, they will work better if everything is cut into thin strips. The lettuce can be shredded.
- I use a shallow pie dish filled half way with warm water to soften my rice disk in. This process is quick. You will place the disk in the warm water and wait about 30 seconds. The disk will slowly go from hard to super soft in about 3 minutes. Remove the disk to your work surface and start stacking your veggies and meat.
- Try to work quickly. Take the left side and the right side and fold into the middle. Starting at the bottom, flip that over the filling, tighten a bit to secure all of the ingredients and proceed to roll into a spring roll form.
- Your spring roll is complete. I lay my rolls on a plate in a single roll. The skin of the roll becomes tacky to the touch and if you lay them on top of each other they could tear apart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce