If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love recipes that cover all the nutritional bases in one pot. Sometimes I serve this as a filling for burritos, which I plate on a bed of shredded lettuce with sour cream and guacamole or avocado on the side. - betteirene
- 2 tablespoons corn or other vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper (optional), seeded and deveined (if desired) and chopped while wearing disposable latex gloves
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced, or 1 can (14-15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 tsp. chicken boullion dissolved in 4 cups water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or chihuahua cheese, or queso fresco
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Warm flour tortillas
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add chicken, onion, jalapeno and rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice turns milky white and chicken is halfway cooked.
- Turn heat down to medium-high. Stir in chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, stock, corn and beans. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, cover, turn off the heat and let stand for 10 more minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, divide equally among four soup bowls or pasta plates. Sprinkle with cheese, green onions and cilantro with warm tortillas on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish