If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is a really great Chinese restaurant in my town that serves a delicate, tasty black bean chicken dish. It has snow peas, paper thin rings of hot pepper, and it isn't too salty. I am trying to replicate that dish and will be updating this recipe is very close. - Sadassa_Ulna
- 3-4 Halves boneless chicken breasts (1-1/2 lb.)
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 Jalapeño
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1/2 Red bell pepper
- 6-8 ounces Snow peas
- 4 tablespoons Peanut or canola oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons Toasted sesame oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 2-3 tablespoons Unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons Asian fermented black beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Trim and de-string the snow peas. Cut on bias into 1" lengths. Cut onions from pole to pole into thin wedges. Cut red pepper into thin strips then 2" pieces. Cut jalapeno into thin rings after removing rib & seeds. Mince garlic.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1/2 - 3/4" strips, then 3" lengths.
- Mix chicken stock, wine, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl; whisk to blend starch thoroughly. Have all of above ready.
- Heat a large heavy pan on medium high; when hot add 2 tbsp veg oil plus 2 tsp sesame oil, then chicken. Beware of splattering. Do not crowd pan and do the following in two batches if necessary: quickly stir-fry chicken until golden but not fully cooked; remove and set aside in bowl.
- Add a little more oil to pan if needed. Add onion first and cook for 5 minutes, then peppers, then garlic. Stir until onions are golden-brown. Add pre-cooked chicken (and juices it creates while set aside) and stir into vegetables. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Tip pan to get a little sea of liquid; slowly whisk into this sea the little bowl of corn starch mixture. Stir vegetables to incorporate; sauce will start to thicken.
- Add rinsed black beans. Stir to incorporate, until chicken is cooked through. Add snow peas and stir right before serving. Eat over sticky rice.
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.