Author Notes: There are a lot of recipes for cauliflower crust out there but many of them don't hold together like a real pizza crust. This one has a great texture and my family loves it. You can actually pick it up without it breaking apart. Once the "dough" is made and baked (with nothing on it), you can freeze it and use it to make pizza later. You can also top it with just cheese and cut it into breadsticks, dip into marinara. Or eat it plain. - dbrowning
- 2 medium sized heads of fresh cauliflower
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup low fat (neufchatel) cream cheese
- sprinkle of your favorite italian herbs (granulated garlic, dried oregano, rosemary, etc)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400, Process the cauliflower: - Cut it into florets, put into the food processer (in a couple batches) and pulse it until it looks like couscous. - Put into a microwave safe bowl and cook in microwave for 7 minutes. LET IT COOL OFF. - Get a clean dish towel, dump the cooked cauliflower in the center, gather the towel at the top and twist over the sink, ringing out the moisture in the cauliflower. - A lot of water will drain out - Set aside
- - In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs - Add the cream cheese and shredded cheese and mix well - add the herbs, salt and pepper - Add the cauliflower and mix well
- - On a rimmed sheet pan, lay out parchment paper (this is a must), spray with a bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick. DO NOT USE TIN FOIL - IT WILL STICK AND WILL NOT COME OFF!!!! (I learned this the hard way) - Put the "dough" in the center and with clean hands, press it evenly to cover the pan. It doesn't need to reach all the way out to the edges. Should be about 1/4" to 1/3" thick. If you get any holes press it back together.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Watch it after 20 minutes -- It should be very well browned and look "done".
- At this point you can let it cool and wrap it up and freeze it to use later. OR, top it with your favorite pizza sauce (just make sure you don't use too much or it will get soggy), add cheese and toppings and stick it back in the oven on broil (it will be crispier if you set it on a metal rack on top of the cookie sheet) for a couple minutes to melt the cheese. The variations are endless as in regular pizza.