If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bar food seems to be all the rage these days. These BLT Fritters are the perfect example of this trend, and who doesn't love a good bacon, lettuce and tomato sammy? The accompanying jalapeño aioli adds a note of creaminess with a bit of zinginess. The surprise filling completes this taste sensation.
The aioli can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated tightly covered. The dough can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated tightly wrapped; allow dough to come to room temperature before rolling and filling.
This recipe may be doubled or tripled; accordingly, use 2 or 3 skillets for cooking. If desired, warm fritters may be dusted with sea salt after frying. - gr8chefmb
Makes 24 fritters
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Crumbled cooked bacon [approximately 6 slices]
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Shortening
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 2-3 Fresh Romaine lettuce leaves, center rib removed
- Cooking oil
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, crumbled bacon, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until flour mixture resembles fine crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and milk. Add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured surface gently knead dough about 1 minute or until smooth. Divide dough in 24 portions; shape each portion in a ball. Cover dough; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop tomatoes and lettuce; combine thoroughly. On a lightly floured surface roll each ball in a 4-inch circle. Place a 1/2-teaspoon dollop of tomato-lettuce filling off-center of dough circle and fold dough over to form a half-circle; crimp edges with a fork to ensure they are thoroughly sealed.
- In a heavy 10-inch skillet pour cooking oil to a depth of 3/4 inch; heat to 375 degrees F. (Submerge end of thermometer in hot oil.) Fry fritters, 2 or 3 at a time, in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. (Keep warm on a baking sheet in a 300 degrees F oven while frying remaining fritters.) Serve with Jalapeño Aioli.
- 1-1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Finely minced fresh jalapeño (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeño-flavored pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Honey or agave
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, minced jalapeño, pepper sauce, lime juice and honey. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until use.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce