Author Notes: This soup is built for comfort. In all honesty it is nothing more then creamy vegetable soup with rice but when you add the sorrel something sublime happens and you end up with a soup that is extraordinary. - thirschfeld
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1/4 cup celery, washed, trimmed and small dice
- 2 cups starchy potatoes, small dice
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 1/2 cups sorrel, washed, spun dry and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place a 3 quart enameled Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter and as it melts add the onions, carrots and celery. Season them with a two finger pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper.
- Let the vegetables sweat until tender then add the potatoes, rice and vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook until the rice and potatoes are tender. Anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes. Once they are tender add the cream, sorrel and fresh thyme. Heat the soup through and until the sorrel is wilted. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!