If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family in SC might have an intervention if they knew I do this to shrimp and grits regularly. However, this has become our preferred method. With a hearty salad it serves four. - Summer of Eggplant
- 1 cup Coarse corn meal
- 2 cups milk (or cream)
- 2 + 1 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan (optional)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried roasted garlic (I realize this is an esoteric spice, you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or for a stronger flavor 2 crushed cloves of garlic)
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 ounce jamon serrano chopped in to 1" bits
- 2 green onions sliced, green and white parts
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine the milk, water and salt and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cornmeal and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, whisking often. Keep the extra cup or so of water warm on a burner and add as needed to loosed the polenta while cooking.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on the stove over a medium heat, add the jamon and cook until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Toss the shrimp in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the oregano, paprika, cayenne and garlic. Place the shrimp in the seasoned cast iron skillet and cook in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove. Turn the oven up to 450. Turn the shrimp over in the pan, add in the tomatoes and the wine. Return the pan to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- About 5 minutes prior to serving, whisk the butter into the polenta. If cheese is desired, whisk that in as well.
- Spoon the polenta in to bowls, spoon the shrimp mixture on top and sprinkle with the jamon, parsley and green onions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish