If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was the first gluten-free recipe I developed after being diagnosed with the allergy in 2008. The cream cheese helps to replace the traditional thick bechamel sauce. Unfortunately, unlike most macaroni and cheese recipes, I've found that this should not be made far in advance. The gluten-free pasta breaks down and soaks up the cheese sauce while it sits, leaving you with a mushy pile of starch and cheese. —boozeandsusan
- 1 pound gluten-free macaroni, or pasta shape of your choice
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 8 ounces cream cheese (NOT WHIPPED)
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- meat from 2-1 1/2 pound cooked lobsters
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until 2 to 3 minutes short of al dente; drain. You don't want to overcook the pasta as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch; warm over low heat. In a another large pot or Dutch oven, whisk together cream cheese and butter over medium-low, until "melted." Slowly whisk in milk mixture and cook, about 5 minutes, or until thickened and smooth. Off heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and lobster meat and stir to combine; pour into a buttered 3-quart (or 9" X 13") baking dish.
- Sprinkle macaroni with Parmesan cheese. Bake until edges are bubbly and macaroni is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
Just Pudding It out There
Use your melon: make this 3-ingredient, vegan dessert
Pudding melon to the test.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
We give it 8 tentacles up.