Author Notes: This recipe has nothing to do with barbeque. These shrimp are cooked in a roasting pan, not in a smoker or on the grill. Cooked in their shells with more pepper, garlic, and butter than you are probably comfortable with, the shrimp come out ready for you to peel and eat. Sop up every drop of the sauce with good French bread and make sure you have extra napkins. - Waverly
Food52 Review: WHO: Waverly is a lawyer-turned-full-time-mom, wholesome meal advocate, and home cook.
WHAT: A fiery, messy shrimp dish that comes at you head-on. Literally.
HOW: Jumbo shrimp are roasted in a magical concoction that includes Tabasco, paprika, Worchestershire, oh, and lots of butter.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Waverly's final step says it all -- this recipe will leave behind "greasy hands and happy faces." - A&M
- 5 pounds large or jumbo shrimp, unpeeled (leave heads on as well if you can buy them that way. The heads add great flavor.)
- 1 2-3 oz bottle coarse ground black pepper, divided
- 1.25 ounces paprika (about 1/2 a can)
- 2 pounds unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 12 ounces (1/2 bottle) chili sauce (Tabasco or the like)
- 4 lemons, sliced into wedges for serving
- French bread, sliced, for serving
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 400. Divide the shrimp into two 9 x 13 roasting pans. Cover each pan of shrimp with half the ground pepper. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over MEDIUM heat. Remove the pan from the heat and add the paprika, garlic, chili sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Pour half of this mixture into each of the roasting pans.
- ROAST: Place both roasting pans in the oven and cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- SERVE: Serve shrimp in soup bowls with plenty of the sauce, lemon wedges, and hunks of French bread on the side. Provide extra bowls for the discarded shells and heads. Provide extra napkins for greasy hands and happy faces. Eat up and don't waste a drop of the sauce.
- Your Best Shellfish Contest Finalist!