If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bring the south to the table. Using the freshest ingredients will give you the best flavors possible. The sandwich is simple but the taste is complex, you have crunch from the oysters, the freshness from the veggies and crispness from the bread. - dmlucero
Serves 4 sandwiches
- 32 Fresh oysters
- 2 Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Head of Bibb lettuce
- 4 Brioche Hoagie Buns
- 4 ounces Tartar sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- 2 quarts Canola oil
- 1. Prepare all ingredients: slice tomatoes, chiffonade lettuce, mix Tabasco sauce with tartar sauce and shuck the oysters.
- 2. Set up a breading station, one bowl with flour, one with egg wash, and one with breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 3. Heat oil to 375 F. Bread oysters in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Fry in small batches, 2-3 mins or until golden brown. While waiting, split hoagies lengthwise and toast.
- 4. Assemble sandwich, as follows: bottom part of hoagie, shredded lettuce, 2 slices of tomato, 8 fried oysters apply 1 oz of spicy tartar in top part of hoagie and then top sandwich.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish