Author Notes: I love ordering ceviche when I see it on restaurant menus, but unless the restaurant is a Latin one, not many places offer this as an appetizer. A little intimidated to recreate and serve this at home, I decided it was time to take on a raw food challenge. A watermelon or a mint mojito would tie this all together. - NakedBeet
Serves 2 as entree, 4 as appetizer
- 8 ounces scallops, cut into 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 large jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 3/4 cups red or green cactus pear (o.k. to substitute with watermelon or mango)
- 3/4 cups fresh lime juice (about 6 limes)
- 1/4 cup avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- blue corn chips
- In a non-metal bowl, marinate the cut scallops in 1/2 cup of lime juice for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Once marinated, drain the excess juice and toss together gently with tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cactus pear and the rest of the lime juice (1/4 cup). Season with salt to taste.
- Serve into individual bowls and dress with cilantro and avocado and blue chips on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish