Author Notes: One Food52 cook (Sally) posted this wonderful recipe for baked apples that is just dreamy. I made them last night for my husband, but had one left over and I decided to see if it would go well in our morning breakfast. Turns out it was a hit with him. Here's but one (surprisingly healthy) spin on baked apples the morning after.
Inspiration: http://www.food52.com/recipes/7944_apples_baked_in_cider - Shalala
- 1 Leftover Baked Apple (Link to recipe in intro)
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 2 tablespoons Chia Seeds (Optional)
- Bring milk, water, and salt to a boil.
- Stir in steel cut oats and bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue simmering over low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until you reach your desired consistency.
- Take your baked apple and cut it into bits. I did this quite easily and without a mess by leaving it in the glass jar I had used to contain it in the fridge, and simply slicing it up from the top using kitchen shears.
- Once the oats are finished, stir in the bits of baked apple, and (optional) stir in chia seeds. You do NOT need the chia seeds, however, I try to throw these into the mix when I can because they are high in Omega 6s, Omega 3s, and Fiber. They also make your hair and skin glow--bonus! This recipe can be made ahead and simply reheated over medium for 5-7 minutes the day after. Enjoy!