If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pie is a little lighter and a little zingy-er than traditional pumpkin pie, the flavor is more like a pumpkin butter. It's great with a nut crust (see my separate recipe for an Almond Meal Crust) and some sweetened whipped cream. —Sadassa_Ulna
Makes filling for one 9" pie
- 2 cups Pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons Lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 or 2 Cloves or a pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon Dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup White sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Powdered agar** dissolved in 4 tbsp. water
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh ginger juice or ground ginger
- 1/3 cup Whole or 2% milk
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1 Recipe Almond Meal BAKED* Pie Crust (or favorite 9" pie crust dough)
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Separate egg yolks from whites; put whites into a large mixing bowl and yolks into a small bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar to the egg whites; add milk to the yolks. Cover bowl of whites and refrigerate.
- In a double boiler set over boiling water, mix all remaining ingredients. Bring to simmer while stirring with a whisk.
- Slowly add milk/ yolk mixture to pumpkin mixture while stirring. Continuing stirring until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Remove whole cloves!
- Whip whites until stiff peaks form. Fold cooled pumpkin mixture into egg whites until just blended and pour into blind-baked pie crust.
- Refrigerate for three hours or overnight. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
- * I will add instructions for blind-baking this crust. ** I use "Telephone" brand agar powder; if using agar flakes a larger amount is necessary, probably 2X or 3X. An equal amount of gelatin can used in place of agar.