If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Warm yourself with the colors and heat of this healthy soup. Bright pink shrimp and the confettied colors of bell peppers, carrots, and jalapeno peppers are bathed in creamy coconut. The complicated flavors hide the fact that this soup is easy to make and quick to clean up because it doesn't use a lot of dishes or complicated prep methods. We made it with a side of steamed white jasmine rice that I ended up mixing in, like a curry. This would also be delicious with any seafood you like - mussels, clams, fish, etc., with or without shells. —sophiea
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- salt to taste
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 bell peppers of different colors: cores, ribs, and seeds removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed, diced, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut cream (can use coconut milk if lower fat preferred)
- 1 sugar
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger, to taste (could substitute fresh minced ginger to taste)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 pound thawed peeled shrimp
- 1 lemon or lime, zested and juiced
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil. When shimmering, add onions and pinch of salt, and stir.
- Cook about 4 minutes, until starting to soften, then add carrots, pinch of salt, and stir.
- A couple minutes later, add sliced bell and jalapeno peppers, another pinch of salt, and stir.
- Add minced garlic, continuing to stir, until fragrant.
- When garlic becomes fragrant, add the chicken broth and coconut cream quickly to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Season the soup with the sugar, fish sauce, curry powder, and ginger, and optional red pepper flakes. All curry powders have different combinations of spices, so test often to adjust all seasonings to your liking.
- Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes until vegetables are almost at desired softness, then add shrimp.
- About three minutes later, when shrimp are pink, remove pot from heat. Stir in juice of lemon or lime.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish each bowl with zest. Enjoy!
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.