If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's this restaurant in Union Square called Neighborhood Restaurant & Bakery that serves the best Cream of Wheat I've ever tasted. It's creamy and just the perfect sweetness with the added depth that comes from a pinch of salt. There's a velvetiness that probably comes from cream and/or butter. And then there's a bright note of citrus and the comfort of vanilla and cinnamon.
I've asked for the recipe, or at the very least the ingredients, but they've never shared it with me. There's whole posts on Chowhound where people try to figure out what's in it. After some experimentation, I think I've found a recipe and method that gets pretty close to the real thing. I use Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal instead of Cream of Wheat for some extra fiber and protein, but it turns out almost as creamy as Cream of Wheat due to the constant stirring and risotto-style method of adding small amounts of liquid when the previously added liquid has been absorbed. —The Cooking of Joy
Makes 1 serving
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 4-5 tablespoons vanilla soy milk
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small pot, add orange rind to water and bring to a boil.
- Add cereal, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and reduce heat. Stir while cooking and add the soy milk a tablespoon at a time when liquid has been fully absorbed by the cereal.
- When the cereal is done, about 6 minutes, add vanilla extract, butter, and maple syrup. Stir to mix and serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
Stone Cold—er, Hot
Desserts that make the case for peaches, apricots, and plums
Stone (fruit) cold desserts.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).