Author Notes: Turning simple roasted sweet potatoes into a deeply flavorful, creamy-but-vegan soup is a breeze when you blend them with slowly cooked onions and prepared vegetable stock. - Weird & Ravenous
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground curry powder
- 1 pint good quality vegetable stock
- Coarse sea salt
- Cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Toss the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil and cinnamon together on a parchment-lined baking sheet with a pinch of salt. Bake until the sweet potatoes are softened and a little bit browned, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring occassionally, until softened and browned, a solid 10 minutes.
- Combine the sweet potatoes and the onions in a blender along with the chicken stock and, working very carefully, puree until smooth.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and serve hot with a scattering of cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds.