If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I call it an alternative to Green Bean Casserole. What do you call it???? - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes as much as you want
- 1 pound Green beans (or Haricot Verts), topped & tailed
- Stale white bread, blitzed to make 1 cup crumbs (alternative - Japanese panko)
- 1-2 tablespoons fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons of milk
- Vegetable/Canola oil, to fry
- Smoky paprika, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- To serve: Ranch/buttermilk dressing
- Blanch green beans in salted boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes and refresh in a bowl of (ice) cold water. Drain but dont dry beans as the water will allow the flour (1st step of battering) stay on.
- Heat up oil in deep fryer (165 degrees celcius) or a deep pan of oil.
- Set up three bowls: the first with a mixture of the cornmeal. all-purpose flour and cornstarch, seasoned with garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper (black and chilli flakes); the second with the beaten egg, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and the final bowl with the freshly ground breadcrumbs, and spices
- In batches, dip the dried green beans into the flour mixture, to coat. Follow that with dipping in the egg wash and then the final roll in the bread crumbs. You can repeat if you'd like a double coating.
- Fry in the oil till golden and a crisp outer coating forms, 2-3 minutes, till golden. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Drain on kitchen tissue, and repeat for the other batches till done.
- Serve as you wish....a bowl of ranch is wonderful, if not traditional 'Thanksgiving'.....
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.