If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Modified from Beth Hensperger's- book : Bread--I use 2 C buttermilk for more fat-add a Tbl more butter (more fat!)-and raise the whole wheat to 3.5C plus half C of 10grain cereal-- I do follow the instructions for rising but I do allow for a autolyze --a 15-20 min "rest" after I remove from the mixer and before I knead--I bake in a gas convection oven for 35 mins @ 350 ( book calls for 375 for 40-45 mins) 2 - jamesgang
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 tablespoons yeast (saf)
- 2 cups Buttermilk (alt: 1C H2o +1C milk)
- 3.5 cups Great Harvest red cereal whole wheat flour
- .5 cups 10 grain cereal soaked 15 mins
- 2-2.5 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- .5 cups honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- I have learned to line up everything ingredient on my counter top so as not to forget something (like I have done!) Proof yeast with 1 cup of liquid warmed to 100 degrees add a tsp of sweetener-whisk and rest for 10mins--helps to dissolve the yeast and gets it growing
- add balance of liquid, melted butter, honey, egg, --I do this in my mixer bowl -a quick whisk and add 2 C whole wheat and whisk again by hand
- I put a half C white flour on my stainless steel counter and spatula the dough onto the flour---I get some of the flour on the top and let it rest 10-15 mins ( my idea--not in the book--but it gives me time to clean my mixer) knead to get a nice soft dough --5-6 mins
- place dough in a oiled bowl and cover with plastic or towel--allow to double in size--divide the dough and knead and shape for pans or mounds--2nd rise is shorter--20mins
- Fire up the oven to 375--allow the dough to rise above the pans --if you like mounds--I like to put the kneaded mounds on parchment paper to rise on---allows a slick pull onto a peel to slide into the oven without picking up the mound --I like to egg wash this bread--
- 375 for 40-45 mins for gas oven bake---30-35 mins at 325 for convection ---keep an eye on them if doing peasant mounds on stones--bottoms will get very dark
- de-pan and cool on a rack and allow to cool ---get the honey butter ready!! This ladies and gentlemen is my "Little Black Dress" bread----always a hit!
- want to learn about using malted barley as an additive as I am told it helps the dough to rise ?? Please --comments --critics --ideas --