If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When it comes to Hanukkah we all get so excited about the holiday itself, the time full of miracles, traditional dishes, candles every evening. Hanukkah time is so full of family spirit and intimacy, this is the warmest holiday of the year.
What you can't imagine Hanukkah without is definitely sufganiyot - holiday donuts. Everyone is just crazy about them. We make the same recipe of sufganiyot the second year in a row: last year's donuts were so good that we definitely want more! - GoodFood
Makes 20 mini donuts
For the donuts:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup orange juice (unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- corn oil for frying
For the quickest chocolate glaze:
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 100 milliliters water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- To make the dough with your hands, sift the flour, active dry yeast and salt on your work surface and make a well in the middle. In a cup lightly beat the egg, add olive oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla extract and mix well. Pour the liquid in a well in the flour and start mixing it with a fork, then with your hads until you get rather soft elastic dough. If you use a food processor simply add all the ingredients to the bowl and mix them until the dough forms.
- The dough will be very soft but because of much oil it will not stick to the hands. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size knead it a bit to let the air bubbles out and roll it out on a floured surface into a 7-8 mm thick layer. Cut the dough into 5-6 cm diameter circles, then cut smaller holes in the center of every circle. Roll out the scraps and cut more doughnuts. Repeat until you use all of your dough.
- Set the donuts aside to rise in a warm place and prepare the glaze. Simply combine cocoa powder and caster sugar in a small pan, add water and bring it to the boil over medium low heat stirring constantly. When it starts to boil remove immediately from the heat, add the oil and mix it thoroughly until emulsified. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot with about 3 cm of corn oil to 180 C. Carefully place 2-3 donuts in the oil and fry each side until golden. Remove from the pot and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Cover your donuts with chocolate glaze and powdered sugar and enjoy in the family circle telling about Hanukkah miracle! Happy Hanukkah and Bon Appétit!
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.