If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe I developed in honor of my new Irish citizenship. It is inspired by a Triple Chocolate Guinness cookie recipe @thegalleygourmet.net. But the Guinness quantity and sweetener are different, along with the types of flour and chocolates among other things. These are soft cake-like cookies with a big flavor. - Sagegreen
Makes 3 dozen
- 12 ounces Guinness extra stout
- 3 tablespoons barley malt
- 2 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups mixed dark and milk chocolate chunks/chips
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, if desired
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey, or vanilla extract
- pinches Celtic salt or other artisan salt flakes, optional
- Reduce the Guinness and barley malt in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Stir the mixture to avoid burning and let it reduce down to @ 1/2 cup of syrup (about 30 minutes). Then let the syrup cool a bit.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, by hand or machine. Beat in the eggs. Add the whiskey or vanilla. Next add in the flour mixture. Then mix in the beer syrup. Finally stir in the chocolate bits and nuts.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day preheat oven to 375. Scoop out 1 oz (or 2 tbl) balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Optionally, sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt flakes on top of each ball. Leave at least an inch between cookies. Bake 14-16 minutes. Let cool on the parchment and then transfer to a wire rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.