If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe I developed in honor of my new Irish citizenship. It is inspired by a Triple Chocolate Guinness cookie recipe @thegalleygourmet.net. But the Guinness quantity and sweetener are different, along with the types of flour and chocolates among other things. These are soft cake-like cookies with a big flavor. —Sagegreen
Makes 3 dozen
- 12 ounces Guinness extra stout
- 3 tablespoons barley malt
- 2 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon each of kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda
- 1 cup butter (room temp.)
- 3/4 cup each of light brown sugar and granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mixed dark and milk chocolate chunks/chips
- 1 tablespoon whiskey or vanilla
- Reduce the Guinness and barley malt in a heavy pan over medium high heat. Stir to prevent scorching, until this measures 1/2 cup, (about 30 minutes). Let cool slightly.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, espresso, salt, baking powder and soda together. Set aside. In another bowl cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the eggs. Add the cooled beer syrup and whiskey or vanilla. Mix in the flour until it is incorporated. Add chocolate chunks. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375. Make 3 dozen balls (@ 1oz each)and place them on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake about 14-16 minutes. Cool on the sheets for a few minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy while still warm or let cool thoroughly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
More Great Recipes: Cookies
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.