Author Notes: We recently had dinner at the home of some friends. I asked if I could bring anything, and my friend, who had heard that I enjoyed making cocktails, wondered if I had any fun Christmas cocktails up my sleeve. Although I have never had a classic Manhattan – I’m a dark spirit late bloomer and usually drink it neat – I love bourbon and this is what I came up with. Like any good Manhattan, as written it is a little boozy, but can be mellowed out with the addition of ice cubes in your glass and/or topped with club soda. It is lovely at the end of a long day. - gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate arils (and any juice that may have accumulated when removing arils)
- 2 ounces good bourbon
- 1 ounce dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- 3 drops Bittercube Jamaican #1 bitters
- twist of lemon
- club soda (optional)
- Muddle pomegranate arils in a shaker. This is mostly for color.
- Add bourbon, dry vermouth, pomegranate molasses and bitters. Throw in a few ice cubes. Shake vigorously until shaker is cold and frosty.
- Strain into your glass of choice, add lemon twist (and ice and/or club soda, if desired) and enjoy. Repeat.