Author Notes: I came up with this many years ago after traveling to France and experiencing the wonderful combination of smoked meats and sweetly cooked cabbage. There are many variations of the classic French dish but over the years I've really pared it down to a handful of ingredients - easily purchased at the local supermarket. It's definitely not something you want to serve often or in the summer but on a cold winter afternoon - this will make you a star in your kitchen and with your family. It's kid friendly because of the hot dogs and can also be a great one-pot wonder to entertain with on the weekends.
- 1 Head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 Sweet large onion
- 2 Apples, pealed, cored chopped
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 8 Juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon Caraway seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325. Sweat onion til translucent, add cabbage, spices and slowly pour in 1 bottle of beer and wine. Cook on top of stove until cabbage wilts a bit and transfer, covered, into oven. Braise in oven for one to 1 1/2 hours stirring periodically and adding beer if too dry.
- Add your combination of "brats" and "Wursts" toward the end. They'll take about a half hour - I like to cook them til the casings are popping and they have "puffed" up a bit by the steamy cabbage mixture. It's nice to have a combination of meats. Serve with dark crusty bread, a variety of mustards and your favorite beer! PS Fish out Bay and Juniper berries if you can before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer