If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My roommate in college always made broiled flank steak with teriyaki sauce, so I decided to recreate the delicious steak with a homemade teriyaki marinade and wild mushroom sauce using chanterelles I foraged from my parent's back yard... any wild mushrooms will do though! There are a few steps to this: marinate overnight, sautee mushrooms, make sauce, and broil steak... so be sure to read ahead before you get started! - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (cider or red wine)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1.5-2 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh wild mushrooms- cut in bite size chunks
- splashes red wine
- salt and pepper
- Optional- fresh thyme
- For Marinade: Combine first 4 ingredients (soy through pepper) in a bowl, stir to mix well. Pour in a large resealable plastic bag (zip lock freezer bag), and add the steak- seal bag. Make sure that the steak is well covered, and lay in a flat a dish that’s larger than the steak (I use a baking dish). Marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turn the bag once or twice.
- For Mushrooms: Heat butter over medium heat in saute pan. Add mushrooms and saute until golden brown. Add wine, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until wine evaporates.
- For Sauce: Line a broiler pan with aluminum foil, and remove the steak from the marinade, placing on broiler pan rack. Pour the marinade into a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low. Whisk together beef broth and cornstarch until starch dissolves. Add to the warm marinade mixture, and whisk. Add mushrooms. Simmer (stirring) until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
- For Steak: Place broiler pan 2 to 3 inches from heat. Leave the oven door open, and broil 5-7 minutes on each side (for medium rare) up to 10 minutes on each side for medium well. Thinly slice steak across the grain, and serve with mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broiled Steak
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.