If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of our favorite go-to recipes when the weather gets cold. It's a lot of food for very little cash, it's rich and satisfying and totally creamy while still being 100% vegan. You could substitute yellow split lentils or mung beans for the red lentils. Serve with cooked quinoa, millet or brown rice if you want a more substantial meal. - Weird & Ravenous
Serves 4, heartily
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- Small handful cilantro, stems and all, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- A 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- Hot sauce for serving
- Combine the onion, ginger, garlic and cilantro together in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely minced.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot set over medium-high heat and add the mixture from the food processor along with the curry powder. Cook, stirring now and then, until the moisture is quite evaporated and mixture is fragrant, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk plus two cans' worth of water. Season the mixture to taste with plenty of salt and stir in the lentils and cauliflower.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the lentils and cauliflower are softened and beginning to break down, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with plenty of roughly chopped cilantro and hot sauce if desired.