If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A couple of pounds of boneless chicken thighs and a couple of fennel bulbs make for a warming winter stew. The rouille is based on a Jacques Pepin technique adding potatoes to the mayo. —inpatskitchen
Makes about 6 servings
For the stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek (white and light green only)sliced lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4 inch half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed a bit
- 2 bulbs fresh fennel (save a few fronds for garnish) sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any excess fat and the cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 14 to 15 ounce can of plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and add the leek and garlic. Saute for a few minutes to soften the leek. Add the crushed fennel seeds and chicken pieces and continue to saute for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the fennel slices and give everything a stir. Crushing the tomatoes with your clean hands, add them to the pot along with the wine.
- Bring the pot up to the boil and then add the chicken broth. Simmer all for about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and continue to simmer until the potatoes become fork tender. Season the stew to taste with salt and pepper.
For the rouille
- 2 pieces of potato from the stew
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of the stew's broth
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- Place the potatoes, broth and garlic into the bowl of a mini food processor and process until very smooth. Remove to a bowl and stir in the mayo and cayenne pepper if using.
- To serve the stew: Ladle stew into serving bowls, place a couple of spoonfuls of the rouille over and garnish with a few of those saved fennel fronds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.