Author Notes: These little treats are a fresh take on eggplant parmesan, with creamy parmesan polenta rounds instead of eggplant, and fresh tomatoes and basil instead of a heavy marinara sauce. - Loves Food Loves to Eat
Makes 6 servings
- 3.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (the shaker kind)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 large roma tomatoes-sliced
- fresh basil leaves-torn
- sliced mozzerella cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Combine 2.5 cups water and salt in saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix polenta and remaining water in a bowl. Slowly add polenta mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Reduce to low and cook, stirring, until mixture is thickened (5-ish mintues). Remove from heat and mix in Italian seasoning, 1 cup shredded parmesan, and 2 tablespoons grated parmesan. Spread mixture 1/2 inch thick in 2 8x8 cake pans. Refigerate 2 hours or overnight (until set).
- using a round cookie cutter or top of jar (approx the size of a tomato slice), cut polenta into rounds and transfer to a greased cookie sheet. Broil on top rack for 1-2 mintues on each side (with oven door open, watch to make sure they don't burn).
- Remove from broiler, and top each round with tomato slice, basil, mozzerella cheese, and remaining parmesan cheese. Place back under broiler until cheese bubbles. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe